A passerby’s quick thinking has helped save his neighbour’s home from a fire caused by an e-scooter’s faulty lithium-ion battery.
Temora Fire and Rescue NSW (FRNSW) said they were called to a home on Loftus Street around 9 am on Monday (4 September) following reports of a house fire.
The neighbourhood friend was driving past the property when he noticed flames coming from a storeroom.
He pulled over and ran to the house to warn his friend.
FRNSW said that until firefighters arrived, the two men fought the fire with garden hoses.
The Temora crew confirmed the blaze was out and extinguished several spot fires.
The firefighters discovered a faulty lithium-ion battery in one of two e-scooters was the cause of the fire after they cleared the storeroom.
“It appears the battery ignited spontaneously … it wasn’t being charged,” FRNSW Deputy Captain Grant Reid said.
“Had the fire broken out in the middle of the night, this could have ended tragically.”
Three people, including the two friends, were treated for minor smoke inhalation.
Fire and Rescue NSW reminds the public to take extra precautions around lithium-ion batteries:
- Don’t overcharge batteries or leave them charging overnight unattended or while you’re asleep
- Only purchase reputable lithium battery-powered products
- Don’t charge batteries and devices on beds, sofas or around highly flammable and insulating materials
- Always use compliant and approved charging equipment for the device/s, don’t mix and match unrelated components
- Avoid dropping, crushing or piercing the battery cells
- Store batteries and devices in a cool, dry area away from combustible materials
- Larger devices such as e-bikes and gardening tools should be stored outside of bedrooms and living spaces
- Don’t charge or use batteries and devices that show signs of damage
Visit FRNSW to find out more about recycling and disposal of used batteries.