The local – loved by patrons everywhere. While their origins span several hundred years, the bars and breweries of today are a central component of the Riverina community. Home to a special occasion or any occasion at all, our local is where we head to first.
Be it catch up with friends, a family soiree, or evening nibbles and drinks, Wagga’s pubs and breweries are no different. While some establishments are newcomers, others are almost as old as the town itself boasting heritage charm in spades. Be it a crisp cold pint from a local microbrewery or cocktail with cosmopolitan flair, our bars and breweries offer it all.
While each offers its own unique experience, there is one thing that all great bars and breweries have in common. And that is their ability to unite people. From that famous Sunday roast, Wednesday power lunch, or Friday evening aperitif there is plenty to bring us together.
If you’re looking for perfect meeting spot, a great bar or brewery is most certainly our pick. Whether you are visiting the region or looking to explore beyond your local there are so many wonderful options. Without further ado, here are the best bars and breweries in Wagga right now.
What makes a great bar and brewery?
Great bars and breweries are the perfect place to meet, fusing tasty morsels with cold drinks and good times. Looking for a great bar or brewery? Here are some things to consider:
- Vivacious vibe. One of the greatest attributes of any fine establishment is the feeling one gets once they walk in the door. From the warm welcome through to the lively atmosphere, every great bar and brewery possesses a vivacious vibe. Whilst this is easier felt than defined, it is often the construct of friendly stuff, comfortable décor, and a hint of that pull which beckons you to stay.
- Delightful drinks. A well poured crisp beer is a hallmark of many good breweries the Riverina over. While beer on tap is a non-negotiable, the best present the finest local craft brews around. As for bars, their remit if naturally much wider. Generally, the best bars have something for everyone. Be it classic crowd favourites; a curated top shelf; or an impressive wine selection; these drinks are bound to delight.
- Nice nibbles. Every great bar or brewing establishment compliments their service by offering accompanying tasty morsels. While some focus on simple bar snacks, others extend their culinary service well into the realm of a la carte dining. From single serve options and share plates through to banquets, these nice nibbles round out the overall experience.
- Stunning spaces. While bars and breweries are well suited to wintery evenings, they are equally as spectacular when the weather shines. Indeed, the best offer a range of stunning indoor and outdoor spaces that their patrons can enjoy. Be it immaculately designed interiors, leafy greenery, or a range of seating options these spaces have it all.
- Entertainment & events. While bars and breweries have always welcomed their patrons, what has changed is the nature of how they come together. Today, the best bars and breweries are known for delivering exciting entertainment and events. From celebrating key milestones through to hosting a Mother’s Day lunch, these establishments go above and beyond.
The best bars and breweries in Wagga
Region Riverina has combed through online reviews and recommendations to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Wagga series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on Region Riverina and Facebook as well as maintaining a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google.
Located within the popular Townhouse Hotel, The Oakroom Kitchen and Bar are just as known for their culinary craft as they are for their bar. Pairing everyday classics with signature cocktails, they offer a warm and welcoming space both indoors and out.
With a range of small and large plates, their menu is perfectly designed to support a little tipple or two. Open Tuesday through to Sunday, bookings are essential.
Isaac Collins shared this review on Google, “Great setting, great food/options and staff are always friendly. Good place for any special events/celebrations.”
Highly regarded by locals and visitors alike, The Birdhouse Bar & Kitchen have earnt a glowing reputation for their chic cocktail bar come restaurant. Bursting with beverage choices, they offer and extensive selection of bubbles, beers, wine, aperitifs, cocktails, jugs and more.
Open for lunch and dinner they serve a noteworthy menu of contemporary Australian cuisine infused with an Asian twist. With a artsy interior space and a sunny beer garden to boot it is certainly worth a visit.
Pearl Carrol shared this sentiment on Google, “Amazing foods and drinks. Mango mantra is my fav cocktail!”
Nestled within Romano’s Hotel is a cocktail and wine bar favourite, The Hampden. Full of moody industrial character it delivers charm in spades. Stocked with wine, craft beers, spirits, and liqueurs, it is also home to some creative cocktails.
With share plates and pizzas also on offer, The Hampden is open Thursday to Sunday. And, with a seated capacity of 80, they are an attractive spot for that celebration or event.
David Kellor shared this review on Google, “A fantastic bar and something very unique to Wagga. Have been multiple times however first time as a guest at a private function down in the cellar last week. Wow! Great service from staff as well.”
The Bidgee & Vine is a small bar and retail bottleshop supporting independent brewers and small-batch distillers and winemakers. This urban cellar door has over 80 beers from 21 brewers and a curated wine list. The music is cool. The vibe is cool. A friendly place to hang out after work or on weekends. Well-known “Drinks Professor”, DJ Pieroway, certified with the Court of Master Sommeliers, brings over 30 years of experience to The Bidgee & Vine.
On Facebook, Liz Ness wrote, “Amazing service … The wines are delicious.”
A true microbrewery, The Thirsty Crow is a proudly independent, family-owned Brewpub. Having amassed a cult following for their solid selection of house-brewed beers, they boast some memorable ales, stouts, lagers and more.
Add to this a substantial menu from bites and boards through to burgers and all manner of delicious share plates there is something for everyone. With loads of live entertainment, and easy event spaces they are one of our top picks in Wagga.
Juinn Yann Alex Ng had this to say on Google, “Great place for dinning and drinks. Brewery is friendly for kids as well as we saw several families there and options in the menu. Love the stout which they’re famous for.”
Your experience with bars and breweries in Wagga
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback. If you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Have you had experience with any of the bars and breweries listed above? If so, share your feedback in the comments below.