In today’s photo from the Museum of the Riverina‘s collection, we join Miss Edith Mena Blamey and Mr Claude Llewelyn Willie Daley as they pose for their wedding portrait following their very pretty wedding which took place on Wednesday 21 September 1904 at the Leigh Memorial Church in Parramatta.
The newlyweds were both originally from Wagga. Edith was the second of nine children born to Lake Albert farmer, contract drover and overseer of shearing sheds Richard Henwood, and his wife Margaret Louisa Blamey (nee Murray). Edith’s brother was Field Marshal Sir Thomas Albert Blamey, GBE, KCB, CMG, DSO, CStJ, ED.
Claude was the eldest son of successful businessman William J. Daley and Eleanor (nee Inglis), in a family with seven children who also resided in Lake Albert.
At the time of their marriage, Claude was assistant council clerk for the Wagga Wagga Municipal Council, a position he retained until 1906 when he gained his certificate as town shire clerk and was appointed to the joint position of shire clerk to Mitchell and Kyeamba Shires upon their inception in 1906.
The Wagga Wagga Advertiser of 24 September 1904 described the wedding in glowing terms.
“The church was prettily decorated by friends of the bride, who entered on her father’s arm to the strains of the organ, the choir singing The voice that breathed o’er Eden.
“Edith was beautifully attired in cream silk figured voile, with trimmings of yak lace and ruchings, embroidered tulle veil and a wreath of orange blossoms.
“She carried a shower bouquet, and also wore a handsome gold brooch, in bird and crescent design set with pearls, the gift of the bridegroom.”
Two bridesmaids were in attendance – Miss Lillian Blamey, sister of the bride, and Miss Ethel Daley, sister of the bridegroom. Although not pictured, we know what they wore, thanks to the detailed report in the Advertiser. Both young ladies wore cream voile with large cream picture hats, gold and pearl brooches – gifts of the bridegroom. They carried bouquets of daffodils and fern with green streamers.
The wedding party left the church to the strains of the Wedding March. The wedding breakfast was held at ‘Oakleigh’, the residence of Edith’s parents. There, a quiet meal was eaten, and the usual toasts honoured.
Edith and Claude honeymooned in Blackheath.
The bride’s going away dress was electric blue, and she paired it with a cream hat with tips and tulle trimming. The bride’s present to the bridegroom was a gold sovereign case.
After their honeymoon, the newlyweds settled down in Wagga, living at 50 Simmons Street.
They had one daughter, Valma. Throughout World War I (and possibly World War II) Edith was a keen worker for the Red Cross. Claude remained in his position as Kyeamba shire clerk until his retirement in 1945.
Edith predeceased her husband by two years, dying in July 1951 aged 74. Claude passed away in September 1953 aged 77.