Styling a new room, let alone an entire home, is an exciting yet daunting task. The thrill of injecting life into a space is rewarding, yet knowing where to start is often a challenge.
Whether you are revitalising a nook or embarking on an entire decorating crusade, one factor is a constant: knowing where to source the individual items that make up a furnished space.
While there is plenty of inspiration in the digital abyss, nothing compares to shopping for furniture in person. From seeing its dimensions to feeling its textures – and being seated at, on or in it – testing an item is so important.
This firsthand experience allows us to ascertain whether a piece of furniture is aesthetically and functionally suited – and of course comfortable. Anyone who has suffered a furniture shopping misadventure will know that these assessments count.
So, if you are in the market for a single piece or a collection, look no further. We have hunted high and low to curate our list of the best furniture stores in Wagga.
What makes a great furniture store?
Great furniture stores transform decorating dreams into reality. They present the finest product selections and make the entire shopping experience a breeze. Here is what we think separates the best furniture stores from the rest:
- Pretty yet practical. The best furniture stores deliver items that blend form and function beautifully. From key pieces all the way through to small accessories, these stores strike the balance between beauty and wonderful practicality. To evaluate, consider how a piece would suit the existing or planned space, along with its purpose and functionality.
- Quality. While great furniture need not cost the earth, it is always of quality construction. The materials, components and finishes are noticeably tactile, durable and strong. While visiting the store, take a moment to consult the staff and understand a little more about each item. Consider where it is made, whether the materials are suited for purpose, and if any warranties apply. Moreover, reflect on sustainable sourcing of materials and practices to ensure your purchase is also considerate of the planet.
- Considered product range. The best furniture stores cater to one or a handful of interior design styles. Rather than being something to everyone, they offer a carefully curated product range in keeping with their signature style. Before embarking on your furniture journey, consider your design aspirations – are they country, provincial, classic or contemporary? Then, find a furniture store that addresses this need and explore accordingly.
- Custom creations. While ready-made furniture has its place, the best stores offer the ability to have something tailor-made. From the selection of materials and colours through to dimensions and overall configuration, these pieces are uniquely crafted to individual specifications. When shopping for custom-made creations, look for experienced workshops, quality materials and flexible options for the best chance of getting it right.
- Service. The best furniture stores are recognised for their impeccable service. From experienced showroom staff, easy ordering and seamless delivery, their entire process shines. Look for ancillary services such as furniture assembly, furniture cleaning and maintenance, and even assistance designing your space. Indeed, some furniture stores extend their services to design and styling consultations, perfect for ensuring cohesion with existing pieces. Finally, consider lead times for custom and international orders, and remember to check on warranty terms or conditions.
The best furniture stores in Wagga
Region Riverina has combed through online reviews and recommendations to compile a list of the most recommended businesses according to you.
To be listed in our Best of Wagga series, each business needs to have consistently received positive feedback on Region Riverina and Facebook as well as maintained a minimum average of 4/5 stars on Google.
Founded by Ross and Juli Triffitt, Eclipse Handcrafted Furniture have been manufacturing quality, solid timber furniture for over three decades. From humble beginnings in mainstream retail, this local gem soon evolved into the highly regarded hand-crafted furniture boutique of today.
Boasting their own exclusively designed and locally crafted hardwood pieces, Eclipse Handcrafted Furniture offers heirloom quality tables, sideboards, liquor cabinets and media units. Each made to order item is individually crafted by a skilled artisan here in their Wagga workshop.
This unique specialisation positions Eclipse Handcrafted Furniture head and shoulders above the rest. What sets them apart is their steadfast focus on sustainably sourced Australian made furniture. These show stopping pieces are available in a range of sustainably sourced Australian hardwoods including Red Gum, Tasmanian Oak, Spotted Gum, Blackbutt, and Messmate Stringybark to name but a few.
The team proudly support an ethos of well-crafted, thoughtfully designed, and sustainably sourced furniture. Each item is a true original; totally unique with its own signature and story to tell. The craftsman at Eclipse appreciates each imperfection, translating these as features enhancing the natural beauty of wood.
Their range of round, oval, rectangular handcrafted tables can be designed to accommodate between 6 and 18 seated places, perfect for those who are looking for something more. The range of sideboards and liquor cabinets are equally as impressive, and available in a range of alternative and complimentary styles.
If you are looking for a key furniture piece to last beyond your lifetime, then look no further than Eclipse Handcrafted Furniture. To explore their stunning range, visit the Wagga or Sydney showrooms or click along to the online store for added convenience.
Man123 shared this glowing review on Google, “I went in for furniture and received functional artworks. Their custom hand forged steel and cast-iron bases with beautifully crafted timber surfaces are a sensory delight. Excellent custom design, communication, most accommodating and outstanding execution. Thank you”
Billy Tea Furniture have earnt a name as a local mainstay in the furniture scene. With over forty years in operation, this proudly Australian owned and operated furniture manufacturer and retailer specialise in creating custom pieces.
Offering a large range of dining, living, occasional, and bedroom suites, each are constructed from quality Australian hardwood and pine timbers. Their curated range encompasses several design styles from farmhouse, Hampton, and classic all the way through to Scandinavian and contemporary.
Mostly Harmless had this to say on Google, “Pleasure to see high quality locally made furniture, great service too. Really amazed at the variety this store has. All good.”
With over 67 stores across Australia, Amart Furniture have a strong position within the mainstream retail space. Specialising in affordable furniture pieces and accessories, they are all about providing cost effective solutions for furnishing a space.
Featuring items for dining, living, sleeping, studying, and the outdoors, their extensive range touches all aspects of in and outdoor living. With an equally as impressive range of styles, they are right at home at many a local abode.
As Aussie John states on Google, “This is definitely my happy place when selecting furniture. The staff are extremely friendly and helpful and not pushy. There is something for every budget and well worth a visit.”
1825 Interiors was founded on the believe that furniture should not cost the earth. This family run manufacturer and retailer is present across New South Wales, including locally here in Wagga. 1825 Interiors specialise in stylish, reclaimed timber furniture designed to fit the family budget.
As proud creators of furniture made from recycled and Australian-made timber pieces, they also have a FSC certified factory in Vietnam. With a range of classic, country, industrial and shabby chic they are a great choice.
Maria Toohey shared this experience on Google, “Brilliant customer service. Realistic prices that appeal to average household incomes as well as honest and reliable information from retailers.”
As a cooperative with over 40 individually owned and operated stores, Nesbitt’s Furniture One benefits from the groups buying power for well designed, functional, and unique pieces. Their aim is to provide an inspiring choice of furniture and furnishings at competitive prices.
With items to suit all interior spaces, Nesbitt’s Furniture One is also home to their specialist bedding and lounging range, along with all the major brands. For a practical furniture solution to suit your next space consider Nesbitt’s Furniture One.
Martin Brown had this to say on Google, “Friendly staff and lots of items to browse.”
Your experience with furniture stores in Wagga
Thanks to our commenters who have provided insightful feedback. If you believe we have got it wrong, please let us know.
Have you had experience with any of the furniture stores listed above? If so, share your feedback in the comments below.
Frequently Asked Questions
How should I prepare for furniture buying?
Before heading out to shop, make sure you measure spaces the furniture will be placed in. Also consider your colour scheme and the style of your home so what you choose tells a story and fits well. It’s a good idea to take photos of the room the furniture will be placed in so you can share visuals with furniture store staff.
How can you assess the quality of furniture?
It’s a good idea to talk to staff about furniture quality. Ask about essentials like construction materials and methods. If you’re looking at a wooden piece of furniture, for example, ask if it’s solid wood, veneer or a composite. With construction, ask what the frame is made of. With fabrics, ask about durability and colour fastness. You’ll also want to talk to staff about how to clean furniture. Read literature available in store. Head to the manufacturer’s website to learn more. You can also check out online reviews.
How long should new furniture last?
The lifespan of a piece of furniture depends on factors like the quality of construction, nature of materials, and how regularly it’s used. Ask the staff to be clear on durability. Mattresses, for example, may last between seven and 10 years. Leather couches may last anywhere from five to 20 years or so. Don’t forget to look at warranty periods before you buy.
When is the best time to buy furniture?
While you can buy furniture all year round, it might be best to shop when major sales are on. Most major furniture stores have at least two big sales a year—January and June are typical sales periods.
Can you negotiate at a furniture store?
As with any retail purchase you can try to negotiate. It never hurts to ask. Some furniture stores are happy to negotiate. Others aren’t.