19 February 2026

Will the $889 million Blamey Barracks redevelopment limit other projects in Wagga?

| By Jarryd Rowley
Start the conversation

The Blamey Barracks at Kapooka is set to receive an $889 million overhaul, which has raised concerns that it could limit the number of trade workers available to work on other local developments. Photo: Jarryd Rowley.

A federal parliamentary committee has questioned the Department of Defence about the impact the $889 million upgrades to the Blamey Barracks at Kapooka could have on Wagga, with concerns there’ll be few tradies available in town to build anything else.

Members of the Public Works Committee arrived in Wagga on Tuesday (17 February) to inspect the Blamey Barracks at Kapooka, which is expected to begin its massive expansion by mid-2026.

The seven-year redevelopment plan includes accommodation for recruits and trade trainees, messes, working and training accommodation, a cadet and Army Reserve multi-user depot, upgraded roads, carparking and footpaths, an explosive ordnance storage and distribution facility, a weapons range, a new and/or refurbished weapons training simulation system, a physical training facility, clothing stores and a recruit welfare facility.

READ ALSO Wagga-inspired painting displayed at Royal Scottish Academy

Following the site visit, the Public Works Committee held a public hearing where it questioned several stakeholders about whether the development would limit the number of other big developments in the city, due to a large number of local contractors being assigned to the project.

Wagga, as with most of regional NSW, already suffers from a chronic shortage of tradies, which has contributed to a slowdown in the building of houses and other infrastructure.

“Will the works proposed, in fact, absorb much of the local tradespeople to the detriment of other businesses and industries here in Wagga Wagga that might then find it difficult to get a tradie or a professional person in to do works?” committee chair Tony Zappia asked.

Director General, Capital Facilities & Infrastructure Branch at Australian Department of Defence Matthew Quinn said the seven-year time frame in which the works would be conducted would help ensure other developments weren’t missing out.

“We need to make sure that we synchronise our delivery approach with what the region’s capability is,” he said.

“That’s resulted in us coming up with a solution for Defence to deliver this development over the next seven years.

“That way, we are not overheating and overstimulating the market. This makes sure that those trade workers can continue to support the local regions as they would normally do so.”

READ ALSO Man dies after car slides down embankment, highway closed

Mr Quinn said 80 of the contractors involved in the project would come from the Riverina over the seven years.

“We’ve achieved the target that we set of 80 per cent local engagement, and we’re currently exceeding that,” he said.

“It has worked really well for us so far by extending that time frame that synchronises with the capability of the regions.

“We established that through having information sessions over the last three years with industry to see what actually can work with them.”

The works at the Blamey Barracks are expected to start in winter this year.

Free, trusted, local news, direct to your inbox

Keep up-to-date with what's happening around the Riverina by signing up for our free daily newsletter, delivered direct to your inbox.
Loading
By submitting your email address you are agreeing to Region Group's terms and conditions and privacy policy.

Start the conversation

Daily Digest

Want the best Riverina news delivered daily? Every day we package the most popular Riverina stories and send them straight to your inbox. Sign-up now for trusted local news that will never be behind a paywall.

By submitting your email address you are agreeing to Region Group's terms and conditions and privacy policy.