15 February 2024

Alleged police pursuit ends with arrest of two men

| Shri Gayathirie Rajen
Two 23-year-old men faced Wagga Wagga Local Court

Two 23-year-old men faced Wagga Wagga Local Court charged with a litany of offences between them following an alleged police pursuit. Photo: NSW Police.

Two men have been charged following an alleged pursuit in Wagga Wagga.

Officers attached to Riverina Police District attempted to stop an allegedly stolen ute on Jenkins Street, Wagga Wagga, just before 2 pm on Tuesday (13 January).

When the vehicle allegedly failed to stop as directed, a pursuit was allegedly initiated and terminated later due to safety concerns after the ute collided with two police vehicles.

Police allege the ute was tracked to Leavenworth Drive, Mount Austin, where the driver abandoned the ute and entered a black sedan, which was tracked to Willang Street, Glenfield Park, before three occupants exited the vehicle.

Police used a taser on a 23-year-old man to arrest him while a 16-year-old boy was located nearby.

Another 23-year-old man allegedly ran from the scene and forced entry to a home on Willang Street, Glenfield Park, while a woman and small child were inside. He was arrested by police while allegedly attempting to steal a vehicle from the garage of the home.

During a search of the sedan, police allegedly located and seized two firearms and ammunition, while illicit drugs and cash were allegedly located on one of the men.

The 23-year-old men were taken to Wagga Wagga Base Hospital and treated for minor injuries before they were released and taken to Wagga Wagga Police Station.

A 23-year-old man was charged with driving conveyance taken without consent of the owner, not stopping during a police pursuit while driving dangerously, driving recklessly, using an offensive weapon to prevent lawful detention, aggravated break and enter, driving without consent of the owner and hindering or resist police officer in the execution of duty.

READ ALSO Riverina man pleads guilty to accessing child abuse material online

The other 23-year-old man was charged with two counts of driving a motor vehicle during the disqualification period, not stopping during a police pursuit while driving dangerously, driving without consent of the owner, receiving property stolen outside NSW value greater than $15,000, driving recklessly, supplying prohibited drug and deal with property proceeds of crime greater than $100,000.

Both men were refused bail to appear at Wagga Wagga Local Court on Wednesday (14 February).

The 16-year-old was released after assisting police with enquiries.

Inquiries into the incident are ongoing. Anyone with information about this incident is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000. Information is treated in strict confidence. The public is reminded not to report information via NSW Police social media pages.

Daily Digest

Want the best Riverina news delivered daily? Every day we package the most popular Riverina stories and send them straight to your inbox. Sign-up now for trusted local news that will never be behind a paywall.

By submitting your email address you are agreeing to Region Group's terms and conditions and privacy policy.